Some of us have it, some of us know someone who has it, but few realize just how devastating this disease can be. It has become a common disease, but many don't realize how many other health risks are associated with having diabetes. Those with diabetes are at an alarming 11 times higher risk of suffering a heart attack than those who do not. There is a 150% increase in the incidence of stoke with diabetes sufferers. There are 200 limbs amputated daily, due to the complications of diabetes.
Aside from the health risks, is the cost of treatment. The average cost per year, per patient for medications alone, is a staggering $4,174. That’s over $245 billion in medications per year, managing diabetes. Along with the health concerns of diabetes itself, the side effects of the medications used to treat it pose even more health problems.
A healthier approach to management, and potentially reducing the amount of medications necessary to treat diabetes, and reducing even more health risks, seems to be a better approach. Instead of continuing the habits that lead to the disease in the first place and relying on increasing amounts of medications to manage it, wouldn't making some dietary changes make more sense?
If your answer is yes, here are some simple things that you can “Remove” and “Add” to your diet to potentially improve your condition, and require less medication to manage Type II diabetes.
- Healthy fats from raw nuts, olive oil, fish oils, flax seeds, whole milk dairy or avocados
- Fruits & vegetables– ideally fresh, the more colorful the better
- High fiber cereals and breads made from whole grains
- Fish and shellfish, organic, free range chicken or turkey
- High-quality protein such as eggs, beans, milk, cheese & unsweetened yogurt
- Trans fats from partially hydrogenated or deep fried foods
- Packaged & fast foods, especially those high in sugar, baked goods, sweets, chips & desserts
- White bread, sugary cereals, refined pastas or rice
- Processed meats (lunchmeat), red meat fed with growth hormones & GMO feed
- Low fat products that have replaced fat with sugar, such as fat-free yogurt
Our methods are unique...because they are unique, we are often able to get results that no on